Helpful Home Selling Tips
- Make good first impressions. The grounds should be properly maintained Summer or Winter.
- Have the lawn mowed and raked, shrubs trimmed, driveway and sidewalks swept or shoveled clean and all debris removed from property.
- Arrange shades or drapes to give a maximum amount of light in dark rooms. Replace all burned out light bulbs and repair faulty switches. Light colors add cheer to dark rooms, especially kitchens.
- Badly cracked plaster, loose door knobs, and crooked light fixtures are among the small items that can easily be repaired. Small things sometimes hinder a sale more than large repairs.
- Display your storage and utility space by removing all unnecessary accumulations in attic, stairways, basement and garage. They will appear much larger than they actually are.
- Correct faulty plumbing. Leaky faucets can discolor porcelain and call attention to plumbing defects.
- Keep radios and televisions off or turned down during the showing to eliminate any possible distraction of the prospect.
- If you have pets, it’s recommended they be kept out of the way or out of the house. Some people are uneasy around animals and they may distract the prospect’s attention.
- Your home should be comfortably warm in cold weather and moderately cool in hot weather.
- Apologies should never be made for any adverse appearance in your home. It only emphasizes the defects.
- Buyers usually have questions when being shown through a home and most prefer to do this in the privacy of our representative without your immediate presence. If you insist on being there for the inspections please do not discuss terms, price, etc. Our representatives will handle these details.
- It is important to furnish us with accurate figures on taxes and utilities, and inform us of any recent major improvements, such as a new roof, driveway, etc.
- Always be prepared to show your property. If you delay a prospect, you may lose the sale. Your real estate salesperson will always arrange appointments with you in advance.
- Always keep your sales agents informed of where you may be reached at all times.
Remember, if a reasonable offer is presented, it is wise to negotiate immediately. This offer may never be repeated.